4.07.2014

Let's get real...


                                        


    In the social media realm we tend to share only the highlights of our lives.  The fun, exciting and beautiful parts of our very existence. Which really is a natural thing to do...it does make sense why we share our great daily happenings.  I mean, who wants to share their bad hair day with everyone or an argument they had with their significant other??  No one right?  And I personally am one that gets extremely irritated with overly negative people!  Old school....if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all!  So I naturally lean in a more optimistic uplifting direction anyway.


 Instead, we share things like that 1 day of the week we did full-on hair and make up and broke out the stilettos...  or when we are headed out for some awesome vacation in a cute monogrammed floppy hat. You know where I'm going with this and admit it or not we ALL KNOW it's a #truestory (Que hashtag haters).  


(Pause for comedy..
          ...but really though)


    Anyway, the reality is everyday isn't a perfect highlight reel.  If I really step back and take a look at my life, a good solid look... the most monumental and life changing moments, besides my wedding, were messy, challenging, difficult, and uncomfortable!  Really. They were.  Can you think of those times in your life that really shook you to your core?  That drew you closer to your beliefs?  They weren't a day at the park were they?!  Those trials and tribulations that you were swimming in, for what at the time seemed like forever, you thank the good Lord above He put you through?!  Man, that's the good stuff right?  Those challenges that we fight through grant us wisdom and character.

   So why, why do we insist on projecting out to the world a false sense of reality??  Because that's what it is.. It's not an exact representation of your true day to day life, so in essence, it's false. There are people out there literally comparing their REAL LIVES to your HIGHLIGHT REEL.  Now now, I know we could reciprocate different opinions on this but hear me out...  let me make another point before moving on, I know that if people are so obsessive and jealous then social media probably isn't the place for them.. But let's get real.. We have all been a little critical of ourselves at times and maybe a tad bit envious and sometimes it could be triggered by hopping on Facebook or Instagram.  I'll use this mom of two kids I know reallllllly well as an example...
While ignoring her chores managing her household she logged on Facebook for a moment just to take a glance and on her newsfeed she saw that that girl she's not actually friends with in real life, but according to fb she technically is, just posted that she's going on a 2 week trip to Hawaii #lifeisgood #vacay #mylifeisawesome #aloha #idonthavekidsandyoudo  ..meanwhile she just changed the nastiest diaper her baby has ever had, "seriously what did I feed him?!"
  She asked herself out loud just loud enough for her 3 year old to hear her and ask "Mommmmmy, are you talking to yourself again?"
"Yes. Yes I am." She answered while dreaming of an umbrella in her drink, feet on the sand and the wind blowing her hair... 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a mother.. But at the same time I'm just being honest.  My days are a far cry from perfect family photos or brady bunch kids..   I could lie and bust out some hashtags real quick.. #ilovechangingpoopydiapers #ilovetoddlermeltdowns #ilovefolding8loadsoflaundry #ilovehangingoutinsweatygymclothes

No make up about to head to the gym...heyyy   




Those that TRULY know me know that I am ALWAYS in gym clothes (which at least I try to keep a decent variety in that department...i do my love Lulu.)  My hair is normally pulled back, I probably have some baby food smudged somewhere on my clothes, I have 2 littles ones hanging on me and most of the time sometimes my mid day snack is a starbucks coffee.  Nothing too magical there right?  So naturally, when I get dolled up that 1 night of the week I feel the need to capture it...as proof that it really happened.  Seriously, I walked out one night all dressed up and my daughter said..
"You look weird...really pretty though...but weird."  I think what she was trying to tell me was
"Mom, Im not use to this look, but it looks nice."
And of course in my mind Im thinking "I should do this more often...." (Que:  beating myself up about not dressing up more)

       So what I'm beginning to suggest is people just getting real.  Seriously.. Instead of sparking a comparison thought in someone, what if you gave them something else, something meaningful.  You invited them in to a real part of your life that they could RELATE to.  You're putting it all out there anyway!!  Not saying that you shouldn't put the wonderful things that happen to you up, because you SHOULD and those things are to be celebrated, but if you just started to embrace your IMPERFECTIONS a little more imagine the freedom in that?  Imagine the impact!!?





What if instead of that next steamy date night or #bestdayever we post something, shall I say, normal?  #reallife 
 I just want to encourage you today to love yourself and one another..know that who you are is enough.  You don't have to pretend to be more, cover up imperfections, or put on a fascad.  You're a person that is loved and admired and people are drawn to that authenticity.  Genuine 100% realness.  

Choose to be different, be better.  Be real.  Be influential.  Be honest.  Be approachable.  

 I believe there's another way to say that? Oh yeah..go against the grain...
















I am going to take some time to show you a few clips of my everyday.  Nothing glorious, but I will say I love my life.  I love working from home and getting time with these babies.. even if I spend most of my day in yoga pants changing dirty diapers, fixing snacks, and cleaning.  Its all good!  Enjoy checking out my reality..
Ill spend the next 30 minutes washing stamps off her leg... exciting!

You love my style?  Cotton t-shirts...






3 going on 13!




Henry boy doing his thing at the gym

Pureed peas and carrots anyone?  Typical Sunday evening activity.. #sundayfunday




I do spend many of my days loving on my babies!!



Glorious laundry...this is why its never done!


Snapshot of  our romantic dinners at home ;)


#letsgetreal #letsempowereachother 

Love,
Bridgette

2 comments:

  1. This is so very true. I did a thing with real simple magazine the other month that encouraged people for just one week to post what "real life" really looked like on social media. It was neat to see what other people posted and to bring me back down to the reality of everyones not so glorious life. I think for me the not so pretty makes the oh so pretty moments that much more enjoyable. Great post. Reminders like this are a simple but important step to making the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very easy to fall into, but it takes a leader to show a greater and more fulfilling path. XOXO

      Delete