6.09.2014

What's cookin' at our house... A full menu!

Mama's been in the kitchen...

   Most who know me know I enjoy cooking, but I don't do complicated.  Maybe one day I will when time isn't an issue and I have hours to spend in the kitchen.  However, at this point in my life, I spend my late afternoons and early evenings with my husband and kids and choose to simplify my meals in order to spend time with them.  Most of my meals are less than 30 minutes and don't get me wrong, I normally cherish them!  It's me, the kitchen, and a glass of red wine some nights.  #mamabliss

 I get the question all of the time.. "What do you eat??"  Well, food of course.  Nothing crazy.. not salads every night or fat free everything... No Mam.  We eat the good stuff.  And by good stuff I mean good quality food and I try not to over eat too much. 

 So if I don't have the time for "COMPLICATED ORDA'S" but I like to cook then what is it that I make exactly?

 Here are a few meals that I have made recently and decided to share.  Hope you try them and enjoy them like we have :)











LOADED POTATO
Keeping Trader Joes in biz!

  • 3 Potatoes
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 sautéed onion
  • Black olives
  • Smoke gouda
  • S&P
  • A little organic butter
  • TJ's everyday seasoning
Bake the potatoes at 400 degrees for 1hr. or longer depending on size.  Cook ground turkey with a little EVOO & seasoning.  Add toppings.  
Have fun with it...add other veggies or a different meat such as chicken.

So.darn.simple.















Cajun Salmon with Peruvian Rice & Green Beans


Sounds complicated right?

  • 1 lb. wild caught salmon filets 
  • Cajun seasoning
  • Coconut oil
  • Frozen string beans
  • Chicken Bouillon
  • Diced onion
  • S&P
  • Trader Joe's Chimichurri Peruvian rice (AMAZING! No seasoning needed!!)


Turn oven to Broil setting.  Put coconut oil and cajun seasoning all over fish, place on baking pan 2-4 inches apart.  Cook 10 minutes per inch of thickness, flipping half way through.  

Add frozen beans and diced onion to a pot of boiling water that has bouillon and S&P added.  Cook until the beans are tender.

You'll use a large skillet for cooking the Rice.  If you use TJ's rice the directions are on the back!

*This meal is full of healthy fats from the salmon!








A likes-to-eat tip:



His vs. Hers
I like to use my smaller decorative bird plates for more reasons than just how much I adore them!  I seriously think they do make my food taste better though ;). Call it mind games if you'd like but I honestly feel like I eat more when I use them but in reality I'm eating a normal portion.  It just appears that way because of the plate size.  Whatever works, right?!











Pasta and Meatballs with a Spinach Salad




  • Trader Joes meatballs (delish!)
  • Brown rice gluten-free pasta
  • Spaghetti sauce
  • Spinach
  • Sundried tomatoes
  • Light champagne vinegairette 
In a saucepan cook the meatballs.  While heating those cook the pasta according to package directions.  I use Trader Joe's Garlic Spaghetti sauce, and my mom would kill me for this but....I dump it from THE JAR and simply HEAT IT :/  Whatev..its delicious and easy.  Add the meatballs to the sauce as well as some extra spinach then place over portion of noodles.  On the side make a small salad with spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and a vinaigrette.  

This is one of my favorites!! ^^^







Pan Seared Sirloin and Roasted Squash and Onions with a Bacon and Blue Cheese Chop Salad




  • 2 Petite sirloins
  • Dale's seasoning
  • 3 Squash
  • 1 Lg onion
  • Olive oil
  • S&P
  • Dole Bacon and Blue Cheese salad mix
Marinate steaks in seasoning around 1 hr before cooking.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  While the oven is warming slice the squash and onions.  In a large mixing boil add the squash and onion along with olive oil, s&p.  Toss, then place on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.  Cover the veggies with another piece of foil then cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes.  Prepare the salad mix while the veggies were cooking which is super easy!  Once veggies are out put the oven on Broil.  Warm a large Cast Iron skillet to med-high.  Once completely heated place steaks on for 30 SECONDS each side then place into oven for 2 minutes on each side.  Let them rest for 10 minutes and then enjoy!  

This meal is a more complicated one, but it was Sunday and well worth it!





Happy Cooking to all you busy and on-the-go people!  You can eat healthy without taking hours out of your day, it just takes a little extra prep.

Love, 
Bridgette

No comments:

Post a Comment